9 facts about Toby the Rat
Toby the Rat is an important character in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
He is Christopher’s closest companion who he takes everywhere with him. As the West End’s most famous rodents, our current rats share some interesting facts about themselves.
- We really, really like to eat sweet corn and dog treats.
- We are incredibly clever; the Curious Incident team trained us ready for the show, the same way a dog would be trained.
- We like to spend about 76% of daylight hours sleeping, we have a lovely comfy home backstage so that we can rest and have lots of energy for each performance!
- We can unwrap after eights! We don’t eat them though as they would make us very ill, but the wrappers are the perfect material to make a comfy bed.
- When a new Christopher starts in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, they meet us first so that we can bond with the actor and get used to being around him (and become his friend!).
- We are both named after characters in Gilmore Girls.
- The rats that were in Curious Incident before us were named Splat, Nellie and Marilyn. Their names were voted for by fans of the show.
- Did you know that rats can laugh when they are played with? See if you can hear us giggling in the show.
- If you were wondering why there are 2 of us, we take it in turns to be in the show so that we have plenty of time for doing normal ratty things!
Don’t forget to buy your tickets to come and see us on stage!